Greetings from the Chair
The International Workshop on Advanced and In Situ Microscopies of Functional Nanomaterials and Devices (IAMNano) will be held in Matsue City, Shimane Prefecture, Japan, from June 28th to July 1st, 2023. IAMNano serves as a venue for researchers and other specialists in different areas of microscopy, materials science, and materials engineering to discuss and exchange their latest findings and ideas with each other. It was first held in Krakow, Poland (2012), and subsequent workshops were hosted in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (2014), Hamburg, Germany (2015), Port Elizabeth, South Africa (2016), Singapore (2017), Hamburg, Germany (2018) and Duesseldorf, Germany (2019). Unfortunately, the workshop series was disrupted from 2020 to 2022 because of the Covid-19 pandemic, but in 2023 we plan to kick-start the workshop as an annual event once again, this time as the 8th in the series. In my experience this workshop always provides an excellent opportunity to move the field forward, promoting scientific advances and international collaboration in a congenial atmosphere.
In order to make this workshop as productive and enjoyable as possible, we have arranged for all sessions to be held at a world-class venue. Many of the world’s leading scientists in this field have been invited to attend, and just as in previous years I am sure they will give outstanding and inspirational talks. Poster presentations are also an essential component of the workshop as they provide multiple occasions for one-on-one discussions on a wide array of topics. In addition, to strengthen links between the Japanese Society of Microscopy (JSM) and international attendees, this workshop will be held back-to-back with the JSM Annual Meeting, which will take place just before the IAMNano workshop.
Matsue City and its environs are steeped in history, and we are preparing an excursion and banquet to sample some of this rich cultural legacy. After a three-year hiatus we are confident that all participants will enjoy the assortment of social events being arranged in addition to the exciting scientific program. It is our hope that this will provide ample opportunities to forge new friendships and plant the seeds for future collaborations.
I look forward to seeing you all at the workshop!
IAMNano 2023 Chairperson
Thank you for attending the IAMNano 2023 in Matsue. We had 236 participants, including 174 scientists and 62 company representatives. Here is the Group Photo taken on June 28th, 2023.
We had 76 poster presentations, and the following 6 young researchers were selected as Best Poster Awards. Congratulations!
- Best Poster Awardees
- Koudai Tabata, The University of Tokyo, "Direct imaging of local anisotropic atomic vibrations"
- Hannah Ochner, Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research, "Low-Energy Electron Holography Imaging of Individual Proteins"
- Poster Awardees
- Takahiro Imata, The University of Tokyo, "Three-dimensional structure analysis of SrTiO3 Σ5 grain boundary by STEM depth sectioning"
- Yaolong Xing, Sungkyunkwan University, "In-situ Observation of Oxygen Diffusion During Topotactic Phase Transformation of a Perovskite Oxide"
- Jingyuan Yan, The University of Tokyo, "In-situ TEM study of the crack propagation along grain boundaries in Al2O3"
- Min-Su Kim, POSTECH, "Moiré Charge Localization in Twisted Freestanding Oxide Membranes"